Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Monday, March 07, 2011

So then I was confused last time about my companions name, I had only been with him an hour before we went to the library to check email. it was p-day. (p-day is now Mondays) His real name is Winterrose his Samoan name is Rosamalulu they used to let you get your name tag in the language that you are speaking here but 2 weeks ago they made is so you can only get name tags in the language you are called to speak -Alaska Anchorage ENGLISH speaking, I'm pretty bummed. I really like Elder Winterrose, we are getting along pretty well. The first week was slow simply because it was transfer week he said that always screws up the schedule.

I really like the ward I am serving in they all seem like really nice people I had not had any problems yet. I bore my testimony this Sunday, next week I hope to try it in Samoan.

The language has been a spoken only language till like 30 years ago and then some English speaking people came to the island and tried to help them write it down. So it is all English letters that sound different. The way the vowels sound are how they sound in these words
A=ah e=h(ay) i=p (ee)o=t(oe) u-p (oo), t is mixed with k so the t sounds like a k when spoken...I don't know how to say it really yet p sounds like b, g sounds like the one like singer its a little confusing once I figure out how to pronounce them it will be a lot easier. Hello = (spelled how it sounds) Malo-soyfua. One hard thing about the language is the sound it makes when you combine things like ae ai eu eo iu io whatever vowels they combine gets a little confusing they combine them to make one sound.

Basically white people wrote down what it sounded like they where saying and that became the written language. So for now its confusing but once I know how to pronounce it should get a lot easier.

The Samoans do have very similar eating habits to Tongans and it all...almost all...taste really good. They are very generous and like to joke around a lot. btw they moved to Alaska because the government is going down hill and the only way to get jobs in american samoa now days is to know some one. So lots of Samoans moved to Alaska to get jobs. They move here get married so they can stay and they they get jobs, in that order.

Well that is all I really have time for this time. I love you all and hope to have time to write a letter later today.

SEND ALL PACKAGES AND LETTERS US MAIL TO THE MISSION HOME:
Mission Home Address:
12350 Industry Way, Ste. 218
Anchorage, Alaska 99515
United States

Love you all very much!

ps...If you could get some one in California to overnight us some FRESH strawberries I would be very happy. Apparently there is no fresh food up here for the most part and due to a tomato shortage they don't put tomatoes on your burger at Burger King for now.

For Tyler's service this week they were able to go to the Iditarod ceremonial start in downtown Anchorage. They worked as fence security along the starting area. Were able to mingle with the mushers and had great seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment